We were lucky once again to find a batch of discussion questions already prepared on the author’s website! And because we’re like that around here, we’ve added a few of our own questions and cut some of the ones from the author’s site. As always, we encourage veering off topic, so please feel free to bring up anything you would like to discuss about the book.
Here are the discussion questions for The Last Song:
- Did you enjoy The Last Song? Did it make you want to see the movie based on the book?
- Have you read other Nicholas Sparks novels? How do you feel The Last Song compared?
- What did you think of the author’s decision to name each chapter after a character, with the focus being on that character?
- At the start of the novel Ronnie is a difficult teenager who’s prone to acting out and is alienated from both her parents. Were you rebellious as a teenager? How was this manifested? On the other side, have you ever had to deal with a rebellious teenager? Did Ronnie’s behavior touch a nerve?
- What do you think about the very different approaches to parenting taken by Ronnie’s mother and father? Do you think Ronnie’s mother is too intrusive or can you understand her relationship with Ronnie? Do you think Ronnie’s father is too absent, or can you understand why their relationship is the way it is?
- What do you make of Blaze? How would you characterize her relationship with Marcus? Have you ever been in a relationship that was not particularly healthy? Did you stay in the relationship? If so, why?
- Ronnie and Will fall in love very quickly over the course of the summer. Have you ever had a summer romance that became something more than a fling?
- What do you think of the choices Steve and Kim make about his illness? Do you think they were right in keeping it a secret from their children?
- Ronnie makes an important choice at the end of the novel. Would you have made the same choice if you were in her position?
- Do you think Ronnie would have grown and changed as much if she had not spent the summer with her dad? What do you think would have happened if she stayed in New York? What do you think was the biggest catalyst fro her changes?